6.7.15

TRADERS VIC'S, MAYFAIR

Last Wednesday was hot. Seriously hot. Way too hot in London to enjoy, for me anyway. Someone posted something on my Facebook called "gingers advised to not even bother today" which pretty much summed it up for me. Work was fine as we have great air con in the building but it was my evening plans that concerned me.... Emily, of the wonderful blog Curious London, had invited me to meet her at Trader Vic's in Mayfair for a preview of their Independence Day dinner (which has now been and gone, but featured some dishes from their normal menu, so you can still order them now). The tube journey into London wasn't as bad as expected, luckily, and I wandered down Park Lane to the Hilton hotel, where Trader Vic's is. Walking into the venue I was so relieved to feel the chill of more air con - I hadn't been before, and was worried we'd be sweltering on a terrace or in a garden, but we were kept perfectly cool in the Tahitian restaurant, that's been in the same location since 1963!

Trader Vic's serves real fusion food - a real mix of Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Japanese and Asian cuisine, though we were there to try their special American Independence Day menu. The restaurant is quite large, but atmospherically dark, and covered in ornaments and decorations from around the world, including massive shells that act as lightshades, fishing nets, wooden carvings, maps and boats. On arrival we were greeted with a Trader Vic's Mai Tai, which was invented by Trader Vic himself over half a century ago. Slightly sharp, and so refreshing, I tried not to drink it in one gulp, as I was so desperate to consume liquid when I arrived! There are 17 Trader Vic's around the world, and it's said to be the only place you can get Trader's original recipe drink. Highly recommended, especially on a hot, muggy night.



Food wise, we ate an American inspired menu, that included ribs, crab cakes, deep fried bananas and lots more. It's not really worth me sharing too much on the dishes that were created as a one off for the 4th July, except to mention the starter portion of ribs - that was huge, and delicious! It's on the regular menu so you can enjoy them all year round.


One thing that really caught my eye, on one side of the restaurant, were the massive upright wood fired ovens, where food is placed on a hook, and lowered in to cook. You can choose from dishes like Indonesian rack of lamb, fire roasted half chicken, beef Malagasy or Scottish salmon - all of which sound great.

If movies are more your thing, then Trader Vic's doing a great movie night deal one Monday a month. For £13 you get to watch a movie in their private room, with a cocktail. Food is also offered on top of this and you can choose from Hawaiian hot dogs, vegetable tempura, or anything from their bar snacks menu. Movies being shown are:

DATEFILM
8th JuneIndiana Jones
13th July50 First Dates
10th AugustThe Rum Diary
14th SeptemberJaws
12th OctoberTop Gun
9th NovemberGremlins
1st DecemberHome Alone

To book yourself in to watch a movie at Trader Vic's or for any further info, do check out their website here.   
Click to add a blog post for Trader Vic's - London Hilton On Park Lane Hotel on Zomato
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I love Trader Vics! I've been quite a few times, it always seems to be the place I go to when I've had a shitty day and 'need a cocktail right now where the lighting is dim and no one will judge me being moody'. One of my favourite memories is arguing with my ex there not long after we broke up - he was eating food and I didn't want food, and I stormed out and then we sat on the road outside and like, cried together. Awks. I look back and laugh about it now though!

    C x | Lux Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Catherine!! The dim lighting and air con was SO needed after a sweaty journey into central London! Fab cocktails :)

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  2. It's a really fun bar! I have to say though, I can't handle a mai tai!
    Lots of love,
    Angie

    SilverSpoon London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's really different but lots of fun, and nice strong cocktails ;)

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  3. A fun evening is always had at Trader Vic's the ribs are huge but a nice change to sloppy fatty mess that many serve up. The addition of the cinema evenings is a definite yes Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cinema sounds like lots of fun, especially with cocktails on a Monday night!!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  4. NOTHING beats a good plate of ribs - those look delightful! Hope everything else you ate was just as good. And don't complain about the weather, haha - long may it last! Lots of love, Andrea xxx

    Andrea's Passions

    ReplyDelete
  5. Send me that lamb...NOW...PLEASE.

    Great post! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

© a little lusciousness. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig