19.7.15

SABEL POP UP, CLAPTON

A couple of Fridays ago I jumped on a boiling hot train across London to Clapton for an evening of food at Palm 2 with Sabel. Sabel is a pop up restaurant that first opened its doors in 2013 in Broadway Market. Fast forward 2 years and they're back, this time at the beautiful Palm 2 above a corner shop next to Clapton Pond. Sabel is run by a lovely couple and is all about sharing plates of British seasonal food. And it's really, really good!
 
We were greeted by Lianna who welcomed us with a gorgeous summery drink - white port and tonic. The sweet port and tonic were such a great combination. Drinks for the meal at Sabel are bought at the venue and they serve white and red wine in milk bottles and beer.
 



We were allocated seats, said hello to our neighbours at the table and got stuck in to the snacks - bright green olives, sourdough with brown butter and radishes with smoked cod's roe and celery salt. Ever since I tried radishes with smoked cod's roe at The Kitchen Table earlier this year I've been obsessed, and Sabel's didn't disappoint - I loved the celery salt with them too. The bread was perfect smothered in the melting brown butter.



I've heard people complain recently about pop ups and there not being enough food at them but this was definitely not the case at Sabel. Plates piled high with food just kept on appearing at the table. Next up were starters - queen scallops, avocado and gazpacho vinaigrette; native breeds cured ham with pickled pears, and tomatoes, ticklemore, loveage and seeds. All absolutely delicious but I think my favourite were the scallops - clean, fresh flavours and so pretty too. The tomatoes were also brilliant - so sweet and great with the added texture and nutty taste from the seeds.




Sabel's food is my favourite kind of food. Good, honest food that tastes ridiculously good, and the main course blew me away. Lamb neck cooked slowly until it was falling apart, smoked wheat, peas and lettuce, served with big bowls of salad - one herb salad, one grilled cabbage, apple, caraway and hazelnut. The lamb was heavenly - rich and meaty and so good with the smoked wheat and greens. And just as I was bemoaning the empty plate, more meat and wheat arrived at the table.



 
By this point I was really, really full. But then pudding arrived. Meadowsweet custard, summer berries and almond shortbread - the perfect summery dish to end a perfect meal.
 
 
Sabel have got 2 more dates lined up at the moment - Friday 31st July and Saturday 1st August, at Palm 2 in Clapton. Tickets are £35, and are so worth it - get tickets and more info here.


SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Pop ups really vary, I tend to prefer those that are all about the food, you look like you were spoilt here with plate after plate of food yummy. I definitely would have found room for the crumble Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was one of the best I've been to Lucy - food was amazingly tasty and top quality, highly recommended :)

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  2. This definitely looks like a great one! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great one Amanda, definitely worth checking out.

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  3. This pop up sounds amazing and all that food looks so beautiful/delicious!

    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good Katie - exactly my kind of food too :)

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  4. The food looks great and I love the look of the restaurant - I'll always have a special place in my heart for mismatched furniture. I think it's because of growing up watching Friends, haha.

    C x | Lux Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the furniture was lovely. And the food even better!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  5. Wow the food looks delish - your pics are making me want to eat the screen. The scallops and pud in particular won my heart, and it deffoes looks like there was enough food! Lots of love, Andrea xxx

    Andrea's Passions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scallops were fab, all of it was actually. The lamb was so good :)

      Rosie xx

      Delete

© a little lusciousness. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig