31.8.16

RIVER STATION, BRISTOL

Last weekend I headed West for a little adventure and to see my nephews, take my mum out for lunch and catch up with friends in Bristol. I booked River Station in Bristol for lunch with mum, hoping for summer sunshine and a lovely meal overlooking the river. Sadly British summertime had other plans and it absolutely bucketed it down, but we headed to River Station anyway and had a brilliant meal. I wasn't really planning on writing about it but it was so good that I need to tell you in case you're looking for a very reasonable and tasty lunch in Bristol.

River Station have a fixed price lunch menu where you can get two courses for £13.50, or three for £16.50 (or £14.75/£18.50 if you go in the evening). There are three options per course - one meat, one fish and one veggie. We went for the two course option and had a starter and main each, but not before I snuck in a Negroni and some delicious gordal olives while I waited for mum to arrive.



For starter I chose the smoked salmon mouse, creme fraiche, pickled cucumber and watercress. The mousse was smooth and light but packed a flavour punch, while the capers, pickles and creme fraiche cut through the richness. I didn't try any but mum's prosciutto, rocket and Parmesan looked really tasty too. 



Choosing from a set menu forces me to go for options that I wouldn't necessarily chose otherwise, and while mum had the perfectly cooked Cornish hake, couscous (which was actually fregola, not couscous), courgette and romesco sauce, I went for grilled pork loin, buttered mash, greens and apple compote, which was all swimming in a bowl of delicious gravy and actually quite suited the miserable weather outside! But the thing that really stood out for me was the level of cooking - the pork loin was one of the best cooked porks I've ever eaten out. Juicy and just pink, it was heavenly. In fact the only place I've had a better pork dish in a restaurant was at Amarante in Paris with Lucy....!



With a glass of wine, Negroni and a few extras the bill came to less than £50 for two of us! If you're after very good quality, excellently cooked food at ridiculously good prices and with a great view in Bristol, then definitely head to the River Station.
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. So glad I stumbled across your blog! I did my undergrad at Bristol - take me back! Never tried River Station though - will have to when I visit! Lauren - www.theyoproedit.com

    ReplyDelete

© a little lusciousness. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig