17.3.16

TANNER & CO, BERMONDSEY

To be totally honest I'm not really sure where to start with this review. I went to Tanner & Co on Bermondsey Street a couple of weeks ago with Bron as I was invited there to check it out, and although the food wasn't bad, and we had a lovely night catching up, I also wasn't totally blown away by it.

Let's start from the beginning.... Bron arrived about 15 minutes before I did (I was running late) and was shown to the table. She was then completely ignored until I arrived. It would've been nice/welcoming if she'd been offered a drink during this time. When I did arrive we were talked through the menu and ordered a cocktail each. They were ok, but not worth the £10.50 they charge for them. I had the Spring Heeled Jack - cava, kings ginger, rhubarb shrub and apple juice, and Bron had a St Saviours Mire - ketel one vodka, damson gin, strawberries, honey, quince and cava. When the wine list starts at £20 a bottle I think their cocktail pricing is a little steep.


Anyway, on to the food - though I also must mention that whilst 90% of the staff were super lovely, there was one waiter who was surly and short with us all night. A smile would've been nice! Bron's starter was delicious - a warm scotch egg with mushroom ketchup, it was everything you'd want in a scotch egg, with a runny yolk and tasty coating. I ordered the Bermondsey bomb which was good but slightly odd. A ball of steamed spinach covered in a béchamel sauce, it wasn't bad, I just think it would've worked better as a side dish not a starter. I'd chosen a veggie starter as we were having steak for mains, but I think they could come up with some more exciting veggie options.



For mains we shared a rib of beef for two, with which we could choose two sides. We had chips and a winter slaw that weirdly tasted of coconut but surly waiter told us that was impossible as they don't use coconut at all in the kitchen.... who knows?! The beef itself was tasty though under seasoned, which was easily fixed with salt and pepper at the table, and the chips were good. Again though, I just struggle to find anything amazing to say about it all!


For pudding we shared a delicious cheeseboard of Tunworth soft, Godminster cheddar, Mrs Bells blue, Rosary ash goats, Tornegas firm and membrillo. A great cheese selection.


Maybe they were having an off night, maybe I'm spoilt and have eaten at some absolute corkers that are so close to Tanner and Co I can't think of a reason to go there and not to one of the other local places I've raved about after eating at. Tanner and Co was busy, in fact every table was full. So either I'm fussy and have very high standards or..... no, I think that's probably it! I just expect to be wowed by a meal that would've cost more than £60 a head.  Tanner & Co Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© a little lusciousness. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig