30.1.15

WINE TASTING AT VINOPOLIS

How much do you know about wine? I'm lucky enough to have been on quite a few wine tastings and talks, and have a brother who is the ultimate wine buff, but if you're not sure what makes one wine sweeter, or tastier, or fruitier than the next, then I know the best place for you to find out. According to Google, Vinopolis is "a London visitor attraction operated by Wineworld London that presents the subject of wine and oenology through exhibits and wine tastings". It is essentially a wine museum, where you can eat, drink and learn about wine. I visited for one of their Wine Tasting Experiences, and though I didn't learn anything new, I had a lovely time sampling some wines I otherwise wouldn't have come across.


The Wine Tasting Experience at Vinopolis starts with a 15 minute talk from one of their expert sommeliers who guides you through how to tell how high the wine's alcohol content is, describe the wine's flavours and judge the sweetness of the wine just by looking at it. I'm not going to spoil this lesson for you, so if you want learn about those things, then go along to a tasting.
 
After the wine class is over you're given your voucher, which has either 7 (£27), 12 (£32) or 16 (£38) tokens on it, and you are let loose to try the wines at your leisure. I must say, I was kind of expecting 100s of wines to choose from so was a little disappointed with the selection, but they rotate wines, and feature a new set of wines each month, and while there weren't as many different wines as I thought, there is a great selection, a lot of which I'd never heard of.
 
 
What I did really like about the wine tasting at Vinopolis was the information provided. You are given your voucher card, and slot it into whichever machine you want to try the wine from. A small amount is dispensed into your glass, and then information about that particular wine is sent directly to your email address - very clever considering visitors probably wake up the next morning with a slightly fuzzy head, not being able to remember which wine was which! Wines vary in 'price' from 1 token to 6 tokens depending on their value, so if you have a 12 token voucher, you could try 2 different expensive wines, or 12 different cheaper ones.
 
 
 
 
My favourite of the was the FMC Chenin Blanc from South Africa, above. It was nice to try something I would never normally pick out when shopping for wine. You can choose from white, red, sparkling or fortified wines as well as vodka, gin and absinthe in the spirits section, and there is loads of information about each wine, as well as posters all the building with information on wine in general and the regions that produce it.
 
If you need food to soak up the booze, Vinopolis has 5 bars and restaurants on site, including a tapas bar which serves meat and cheeses in the tasting area itself. I was tempted to stay on for a steak at the restaurant, but sadly to rush off to a friend's play in Southbank straight after our tasting. If you do go along to Vinopolis for tasting, then these super cute images on Cup of Jo's latest blog post would be a really handy tool for directing you to wines you'll like.
 



SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I've always wanted to learn a little bit about wine - I know very little other than that I like it ;-) So will definitely put this on the list next time I'm in London - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be perfect for you then Claire! It's great intro to wine :)

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to do this but haven't got around to it so far. It looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do it - really great if you want to learn the basics, and sample a few wines too.

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  3. What a fun experience! I have to say, I'm only good on white and Rose. I don't care much for red! I love that it emails you the description of the wine after!

    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - the emailing is such a great touch, so many wines, so little memory!!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  4. I've been there, it's a fun day out :)
    Lots of love,
    Angie

    SilverSpoon London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything that involves wine = fun day out!! :)

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  5. I love wine tasting but for some reason and I really don't know why when people take a sip and start pulling faces I revert to a child and want to laugh. If they slurp and swill I become worse. Holding it in is quite difficult. The best event I did was port and chocolate delicious Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Port and chocolate sounds perfect Lucy! I know the whole process makes me giggle too, so much so that I might've snorted and spot wine all down my front at vinopolis...!!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  6. I've heard quite a bit about the Vinopolis wine tasting, but wasn't sure what it would be like. Sounds like a fun experience though! I'd love to learn a little more about wine, and this would be a fun way to do it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great way to learn the basics Miranda, and such an impressive building to do it in!

      Rosie xx

      Delete

© a little lusciousness. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig