26.1.15

3 RECIPES WITH PASTRY

Cooking with pastry is a wonderful thing. It's so rewarding making your own and creating a dish with it, but sometimes time isn't on your side and you need a quick alternative. And often for this I turn to pre-made pastry to create something that looks impressive and tastes delicious, but can actually be thrown together in less than half an hour. I use pastry a lot, especially when cooking for friend's parties, so thought I'd share a few of my go to recipes here for you, starting off with a savoury favourite.

SPINACH, SQUASH & SESAME ROLLS

1/2 squash, diced into cm cubes
Olive oil
1 pack spinach
1 tub ricotta
1 pack Jus Rol puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
Handful sesame seeds

Preheat the oven to 200C. Toss the squash in a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper and cook in the oven until soft - as I chop the squash so small this only takes around 15-20 minutes to cook.

Put the spinach in a steamer, and steam over boiling water for a couple of minutes. Once done, put the spinach and ricotta in a bowl and mix together, adding the squash and mashing it in, until you're left with a thick spinach/ricotta/squash paste. Taste and season if necessary. Unroll the puff pastry and make a thick line of the paste lengthways along the pastry. Brush one edge of the pastry with beaten egg and roll the pastry up to create a tube around the paste. Seal the edge by pressing down with a fork, brush the pastry all over with beaten egg and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top. Cook at 200C for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
 

Next up are a couple of puddings - again, super easy to make and a real showstopper to serve.

SUMMER BERRY & HONEY TART

1 pack of Jus Rol puff pastry
1 tub double cream
3 tbsp. honey
Seasonal berries - I made this in July and used 1 punnet of strawberries and 1 punnet of raspberries
Mint leaves

Preheat oven to 200C. Roll the puff pastry out, place on a baking tray and prick all over with a fork. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and leave to cool.

Whip the double cream and 2 tbsp. of the honey together until it has thickened. Once the pastry is cooled, spread the cream over the rectangle of pastry. Cover the cream with berries, then drizzle over the last tbsp. of honey and a few torn mint leaves. Perfect to serve at a summer BBQ! (I know that's while off yet, but we can dream of summer can't we?!)


LEMON AND THYME TART

1 pack of Jus Rol shortcrust pastry
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
3 lemons
100g caster sugar
10 stalks fresh thyme
200g double cream
100g ground almonds

1 x 8" tart case

Preheat the oven to 200C. Roll out your pastry into a circle, around 4mm thick and about 1 inch larger than your 8 inch tart case. Press the pastry into the tart case, and put a layer of greaseproof paper on top. Fill with rice or dried beans and cook for 20 minutes.

In the meantime, in a saucepan beat together the egg, egg yolk, zest from 1 lemon and the juice from all of them. Pour the caster sugar over the thyme stalks and bash them with a wooden spoon. Remove the thyme, whisk the caster sugar into the egg mix in your saucepan. Gently heat this mixture, stirring until it has doubled its thickness. Add the double cream, and continue to stir over the heat for around 3 more minutes.

Once the pastry case has cooled sprinkle the ground almonds in a fine layer over the base. Pour the lemon mixture over the almonds, then refrigerate the tart for 4+ hours before serving. I serve mine with whipped crème fraiche, sprinkled with lemon zest. The boy had his swimming in cream - each to their own!! 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I noticed that The Guardian had a pastry feature at the weekend as well, so for more ideas and inspiration have a look here.
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. Yum, all these recipes sound delicious! Ready made pastry is really such a wonderful thing. That berry tart just looks so pretty - I'm definitely dreaming of summer now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it's my massive kitchen cheat, so easy to use, and so much faster than making your own!! Roll on Summer!!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  2. These recipes sound incredible - I'll have to try them soon.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzie - they're all super easy, do give them a go :)

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  3. Oh my yum, that summer berry tart looks sooooo delicious! Are you still doing a pop up in Tetbury this year? (Was it Tetbury!?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so ready for Summer now!! Yes Kim, I am still planning on it though struggling with venues.... Will let you know details as soon as I do!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  4. I can't stare at these for too long because I'm trying to be good (she says as she can still taste the remnants of four pieces of dairy milk that she's just consumed) beautiful recipes though!

    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! Well I've stopped eating carbs for 95% of the time, so bit of a random recipe set for me to even post....!! Though the berry tart was from last Summer, we did munch a huge lemon and thyme tart last weekend to get the recipe right for this post :)

      R xx

      Delete
  5. Ah those rolls look and sound so good! I always use ready made pastry, it tastes and turns out well so makes life much easier than faffing about making it myself. I love filo as well! x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasmin - they're so delicious, and always go down well with veggies, in fact with everyone! I love the ready made filo too, it's one thing I've never actually made myself!!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  6. Those rolls look amazing! I just discovered your blog after reading Miranda's Notebook review. I'll definitely be back for more recipe inspiration!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chiara!! You should come to a pop up too ;)

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  7. I am a massive fan of pre-made filo pastry - my favourite creation is a tart with a red onion chutney base, butternut squash, feta, pine nuts and rocket on the top - it's delcious (and I can pretend its almost good for me!) But I haven't yet used any pre roll for the sweeter stuff - that tart looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The filo is great. I should've done a recipe for it in this post - maybe I'll do a whole post about it soon! Your tart sounds delicious :) And yeh, I reckon filo is definitely the healthiest pastry!!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy. The spinach, squash and sesame sound wonderful. I would be tempted to add some ricotta but that is because I love the creamy texture the lemon and thyme tart sounds diving Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ricotta does add a really nice creaminess. The lemon tart was fab, took loads of photos but none really worked so didn't put any up!

    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete

© a little lusciousness. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig