5.3.14

HOMEMADE LAMB SHISH / HUMMUS

Despite my attempts at vaguely healthy and responsible eating, there may have been occasions, after a few pints at the pub, that I've ducked into the local kebab shop for a lamb shish on the way home, normally at around 2am! I don't do this often, in fact probably only about once a year, but I've still done it. The alcohol normally fuels the hunger, but I do actually really like the taste of lamb shish! So here's my recipe for those naughty kebabs, which you can now make at home (although maybe not at 2am after the pub!)

I can't promise that this version is massively healthier than the kebab shop's, but at least you know exactly what's gone into this one! The thing that makes homemade kebabs super tasty is the marinade, so you'll want to get your lamb out of the fridge, ready to marinate a couple of hours before cooking.

Serves 2

For the lamb:
250g diced leg of lamb (I get mine from the excellent Wyndham House butcher in Chiswick)
1 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ezapote (Mexican herb)
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp coriander leaf
1 tsp dried chilli flakes (I didn't use these in mine, but would've done if I wasn't sharing with the chilli-allergy one!)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Squeeze of lemon juice
Large glug of olive oil
Black pepper

For the hummus:
130g tinned chickpeas (one of the mini tins)
1 tbsp tahini paste
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp water, more if needed
Pinch of sea salt
Black pepper
1 tsp cumin powder

For the garlic sauce:
2 tbsp natural yoghurt
1 tsp mayonnaise (I cheated and used shop bought, which I don't normally do, but it actually works best in this sauce)
1 large clove garlic, crushed
Squeeze of lemon juice
Half tsp salt

Everything else:
Flour wraps
Salad leaves
Pickled red cabbage
Sliced tomatoes
Jalapenos

Get things started by getting your lamb in the marinade. Heat a dry frying pan over a medium heat and add the coriander and cumin seeds, toasting for a minute or so until you can smell the aromas - be careful not to burn them though as they turn very fast. Tip the toasted spices into a pestle and mortar and grind into a powder. Add the paprika, ezapote, oregano, coriander leaf, chilli flakes, crushed garlic and black pepper. Pour this into a dish with the olive oil and lemon juice, and mix it all together. Toss the lamb pieces in the marinade and put the bowl back in the fridge until you're nearly ready to cook.

Ideally you want to leave your lamb to marinate for at least 2 hours, so give it the time it needs to absorb all those delicious flavours. After a couple of hours, remove the lamb from the fridge and leave it on the side, to allow it to come to room temperature. Whilst that's happening you can make your hummus, and garlic sauce.

You do really need some sort of blender to make the hummus. I use my magimix, but anything with a blade and motor will be fine. Stick the chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, water, salt, pepper and cumin into the blender and whizz for a couple of minutes, until it's really quite smooth. Taste the mixture at this point, and adjust the lemon/salt/cumin ratios to your liking. If it's a bit gluey, add some more water, a little at a time. Put to one side.

To make the garlic sauce, simply combine the mayo and yoghurt, crush the garlic into the mix and stir in the lemon and salt. Taste, and add more garlic/lemon/salt if needed.

I like to layer up the wraps at this point, before the lamb is cooked, so that once the lamb's ready you can just add that, and eat the kebab nice and warm. A stripe of hummus and a stripe of garlic sauce, with salad leaves, tomatoes, pickled cabbage and some jalapenos.

Then on with the lamb. Heat a large, wide frying pan over a medium to high heat, and once hot, add the lamb pieces. I start at the edges and place in a circle so that once all the lamb is in the pan I can start turning the cooked pieces over. My chunks were around 2.5cm square, and I cooked them for a couple of minutes each side, to leave them tender and a little pink in the middle.



Pile the lamb onto the filled wraps, roll up and enjoy!! Just careful of all the juices dripping from the wrap!


SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Nice to find your blog and thanks for following mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love the look of the camera holidays you run - I'd love to attend one of your courses sometime!

      Delete
  2. Without a doubt the greatest kebab I've ever eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely be trying this recipe! I love Mezze platters - this would be perfect for one!

    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super yummy, and I love making my own hummus - it's so easy to make and tastes so much better than the stuff from the shops!!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  4. Oh my God Rosie this looks right up my street! Don't feel guilty about indulging in a take out now and again either I'm currently eating my second flake chocolate bar as I type!
    I'm soooo trying this recipe! xx

    Thiswomansstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you try it - do let me know how you get on if you do! It does taste pretty good if I say so myself haha!!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  5. I had a chicken shish last night actually and your version sounds equally as delicious. Must give it a try.

    Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must try it Victoria! It's sooo good - my boyfriend now keeps on asking to have it every day!!haha!

      Rosie xx

      Delete

© a little lusciousness. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig