15.12.14

KANADA-YA RAMEN, SOHO

It's not often I go to a restaurant and come out declaring it's the best version of whichever food they're serving that I've tried, so it's a big deal for me to say I've found the BEST ramen that I've ever tasted, especially when it's a no-booking restaurant with food served so fast that you're in and out within 30 minutes. But that restaurant exists and it's Kanada-Ya.

I was invited to visit Kanada-Ya on a cold and rainy Wednesday evening. I arrived with Hugo at 6.30 to see a huge queue outside already, with probably more than 20 people queueing for this 24 seater ramen bar. The restaurant is small and compact with a semi open kitchen - there are bench tables in the centre and a few tables against the windows. The place is buzzing and no sooner has one table been cleared, than the next hungry diners waiting outside are ushered in.

The menu at Kanada-Ya is short and sweet. You choose from 3 options of tonkotsu (which means pork bone) ramen (noodle soup) - all made with the same creamy 18 hour pork bone broth, the toppings alternate slightly between the choices. Their three options of ramen are:

- Original ramen - broth, chashu pork belly, wood ear fungus, noodles, nori and spring onion (£10)
- Moyashi ramen - broth, chashu pork belly, wood ear fungus, noodles, nori and spring onion, topped with blanched bean sprouts (£11)
- Chashu men - broth, deluxe chashu pork collar, wood ear fungus, noodles, nori and spring onion (£12.50)

You can also add extra noodles (£1.50), black garlic sauce (£1), spicy miso (£1.50), Hanjuku egg - a soft boiled egg marinated in soy (£1.80) and extra nori (£0.50). We both went for the Chashu men with spicy miso, and an egg for me. You can also choose how you want your noodles cooked - extra firm, firm, regular or soft. Hugo went for firm and I had regular. The wait between ordering your ramen and it arriving at the table was less than 5 minutes. And when it does arrive you're greeted with a steaming bowl of goodness.



The broth is rich, smooth and plentiful. The bowl has thin slices of pork collar around the edges, and in the middle is a nest of noodles, mushrooms, spring onions and a soy stained egg. The spicy miso was a red swipe of paste, presented on a spoon to mix into the ramen yourself. The noodles were cooked perfectly for my liking, and the egg was amazing - the white fully cooked, but the yolk as rich and creamy as the broth whilst being soft and almost gel like, in a very good way! Hugo ate his bowl of ramen in less than 5 minutes! I savoured mine for a little longer, enjoying every single mouthful. Kanada-Ya also do extra noodles, so you can eat the contents of your ramen bowl, leaving the soup to add more noodles to for round 2.

Kanada-Ya is a Japanese restaurant, with 3 sites in the Far East, and was set up by Kanada Kazuhiro who used to be a cyclist, but when age got the better of him he turned his hand to ramen. The Soho branch is the only one so far in London, and is run by the very kind and charismatic Ken, who looked after so well and to whom I could've chatted 'ramen' for hours. Though I had to let him get back to dealing with the ever growing queue outside. Not before finding out that the best time to go to Kanada-Ya if you don't want to queue is 14:30 or 21:30, just before they close each shift. They make over 250 bowls of ramen a day, and the broth, noodles, eggs and all their other ingredients are made on site, by hand.

Kanada-Ya are licensed, though we stuck to green tea for our visit, you can get beer or sake to drink with your ramen. So wrap up warm, and go get in that queue! Trust me, it'll be worth it.


 Click to add a blog post for Kanada Ya on Zomato
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Ah this place always has such a queue outside whenever I wander past. It looks so good so I might have to brave it!
    Sophie
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Or go late if you can. It's so worth it

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  2. I've still never been to a ramen bar, unless wagamama counts! I've actually heard shor-yu is the best so I'm keen to give it a try!
    Lots of love,
    Angie
    SilverSpoon London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must try proper ramen! It's so good!! Shor-yu is really good too, but I think Kanada-Ya just wins - try both!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  3. This sounds amazing and just like the ramen place I went to in Japan. I went to Bone Daddies the other night and didn't love it so something more authentic sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not been to Japan but compared to other ramen places Kanada-ya seems really authentic, and the fact that they've come from a chain in Japan, so well worth a try :)

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  4. Wow, this place looks amazing!! I love ramen! Will definitely have to check this out - thanks for the great recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it, and don't worry about the queue, it moves pretty fast from what I saw!!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  5. This looks SO good - I'm always on the lookout for authentic ramen places. Will have to try it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is about as authentic as it gets from what I've heard. Do try it if you can!

      R xx

      Delete

© a little lusciousness. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig