21.11.14

L'ETO, BROMPTON ROAD

I got hit with the flu last week, and after sloping off early from work on Tuesday for my bed, I realised that I definitely wasn't going to be able to make the launch party of the newest branch of L'Eto later that evening. I was gutted to miss it, as I've tried their cakes before and they are seriously good, so was thrilled to find out that they wanted me to go in my own time to try out their full dinner menu. I chose last Sunday evening and took the boy along with me for a lovely dinner on a not so lovely evening.

We arrived wet and windswept and hungry for some food, and were greeted into a dining room that felt like someone's luxury drawing room of their home, rather than a formal restaurant setting. The leather panelled walls, gorgeous art on the walls and arm chairs mean that the restaurant is just as suited to those who want tea and cake as it is for those who want a 3 course meal, as we did. The front of the room has a buffet area, with piles of salads, cured meats and breads, while the front window is full of homemade cakes and delicatessens, as well as L'Eto branded jams and granolas.




We were shown to our table by one of the many friendly staff, and offered a cocktail to warm our cockles from the pouring rain outside. As I was still feeling a little under the weather I actually decided on a fresh juice of apple, celery, lime and cucumber, while the boy went for the Whisky Apple cocktail, a blend of Glenfiddich, fresh apple juice and Apple Schnapps. Both were delicious, and my juice was the perfect little pick me up that I needed.


But we weren't there for drinks - we were there for their excellent food. L'Eto have one of those menus where I feel like I could order anything from it and it would all be delicious. I was torn between the artichoke soup with slow cooked duck egg and the burrata, heritage carrots, olive crumble and basil oil for starters, but opted for the latter. And I'm so glad I did. It was pretty as a picture, and utterly scrumptious. The burrata was creamy and oozy, and paired so well with the crunchy colourful carrot strips and salty olive crumble. The basil oil lifted the whole dish without being greasy or overbearing.


The other starter that had particularly caught my eye was the blackened tuna, pineapple, crispy onions and white mango. I was tempted to order it but slightly put off by the fish/fruit combo. This didn't put the boy off, and I may have actively encouraged him to order it, so I could try some as well. So that's what he went for, and it was fantastic. The tuna was barely cooked and really well complimented by the dots of fruit puree on the plate. I had to stop myself taking more and more of it from his plate. It was another beautiful dish and our plates were almost licked clean!


For mains I ordered a lighter option from the menu of boneless grilled Dover sole, sea herb butter, quinoa and fennel which was really good. The fish was perfectly cooked, though I don't really think it's necessary to remove it from the bone, but that might just be me! The sea herb was tangy and citrusy, and the quinoa and fennel slices and tops were a lovely alternative to a carb heavy side. However, the restaurant really came into its own with the boy's main course of beef fillet, ceps, onions, crones (a Chinese artichoke) and rosemary - wow! Hands down the best dish of the evening, it was rich and earthy from the mushroom, with an exquisitely indulgent sauce, cooked absolutely perfectly pink. The sign of an excellent chef is when the waiter doesn't ask how you'd like your beef cooked, but delivers it perfectly cooked anyway. Again, we had to resist licking the plates clean! L'Eto are also known for their excellent pasta dishes and these include options like homemade tagliatelle with wild boar ragout, or pumpkin and feta cannelloni with roasted butternut squash puree and baby spinach.


For pudding we were asked to go and choose a cake or slice of our choice from the front window display. We actually decided to take these away with us as by now it was quite late on Sunday evening, and I fancied nothing more than slipping under a blanket on the sofa at home and devouring my slice of cake there. After a quick cup of their most popular Yellow Bird Tea, served in a lovely clear glass teapot, off we went with a chocolate, nut and alcohol sponge and ganache layered slice for me, and a very impressive looking strawberry and cream individual cake for the boy, both of which were as delicious as the rest of the food we tried from L'Eto.



L'Eto now have 6 branches (Soho, Fulham, Mayfair, Belgravia, King's Road and now Brompton Road) where they serve cakes, coffees, salads and breads, but the premium menu and cocktails are unique to the Brompton Road branch, so I really recommend you try it out if you like the look of what we had. It is more of a treat place, as starters range from £9-16 and mains are £13 upwards, though everything is excellent quality and definitely worth the price. I can't wait to go back - it will be perfect for post-shopping supper if you're hitting up Harrods before (or after) Christmas.

 Click to add a blog post for L'Eto Caffe on Zomato
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Hope you are feeling better now. Missing opportunities when your poorly sucks. The food looks wonderful great pictures Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling SO much better thank you Lucy! The food was so great at L'Eto, will be back soon for more!

      R xx

      Delete
  2. I pop into the one in Mayfair (near my work) every so often and have a cake from the window. My favourite is the carrot cake - so indulgent! I've never actually eaten there though. Looks so tasty!

    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try the food - it really was great, though I think the menu we had is only available in the Brompton Rd branch. The cakes are so scrumptious!

      R xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. All their salads and food for take away looked really good!

      Rosie xx

      Delete

© a little lusciousness. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig