26.10.14

CAKES BY ROBIN

When I was contacted recently by the lovely ladies from Cakes by Robin to see if I wanted to receive one of their bespoke cakes to try out it didn't take me long to answer with a resounding yes! I love cooking, in all its forms - whether it's making a 4 course meal for a pop up, whipping up a quick dinner for 2 or playing around with canapés for special events. But when it comes to baking I feel my skills are a little lacking. Yes, I can make a cake that tastes good, but I still haven't quite mastered the art of decoration.... At work we have an annual bake off for Halloween and although I came 2nd last year, it definitely wasn't because of my presentation (see below - and no, I have no idea what I was doing, it was meant to be ghosts, but apparently looked more like Stay Puff from Ghostbusters?!?!) It was definitely the taste that won me a prize!


So not only was I excited to receive a delicious sounding chocolate and salted caramel creation, but I thought I could pick up some tips on the decorating front as well. I was promised an Autumn inspired cake, and this is the beauty that was delivered to me.

 
 


The cake was stunning! And the attention to detail just beautiful - little painted icing acorns and mushrooms surrounded the cake, as well as the gorgeous hand painted icing leaves. Inside moist chocolate sponge squidged the layer of oozing salted caramel and the whole thing was covered with a salted caramel buttercream - absolute decadence.

Cakes by Robin is run by Robin Green from Wimbledon. She set up the bespoke cake company is 2008 and has had great success with it since then. Robin and her team create these edible masterpieces for every occasion you could need a cake for, whether it's weddings, birthday, christenings or just afternoon tea - I had my cake delivered to where I work and shared it with my team - so there were over 30 resounding "yes"s when I asked if it was good! These cakes really do taste as good as they look. Robin's website is beautiful and is full of photos of cakes she's made for previous clients, including these unbelievable creations:

  
 
  
 
 
 

Robin not only makes such stunning cakes, but also offers classes so you can learn some of her skills - I think I need to sign myself up for a class or two though I fear it may be too late for Halloween this year (I'm making a cat cake.... will report back on that one!!)

Robin's website is here and you can find lots more inspiration as well as all of her contact details in case you need a cake for a special occasion, or in case you just need cake!

 
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. I met Robin a wedding fair and tried some of her cookies! I was hooked! She's made me cookies for our engagement party, a baby shower and she did our wedding favours. She also made a wonderful cake for my best friend's birthday. All her stuff is amazing :)

    I just read Caroline's review on your pop-up and it looked incredible, congratulations on the success!
    Lots of love,
    Angie

    SilverSpoon London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her cakes are so good aren't they! So glad you've used her and had a good experience - I'm astounded by her attention to detail and decorating skills, seriously talented lady!

      Thanks for the congrats, it was so nice to have some fellow bloggers at my pop up :)

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  2. Hehe, I have trouble with presentation too!! That cake looks delicious, and I love the handbag one too. I'll have to look into classes - I'd love to learn more as well, and Wimbledon is quite close to me. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin's cakes are just stunning - if only I could get to 10% of what she does I'd be happy!!! I do wonder how I'm going to make a cake into a cat this week for Halloween....! Do have a look at her classes, they look like they'd be really interesting and very helpful on the decorating front!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  3. That handbag cake is fantastic! I want one immediately (Both the handbag and the cake!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're just stunning! Do have a look at her website as she has tonnes more photos on there, they are amazing!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  4. Wow, they are beautiful! I went on a cake decorating course a few years ago- it's truly a labour of love!

    Angela | The Awkward Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pleased you enjoyed the cake Rosie! Our love for the salted caramel is showing no signs at all of slowing down at all either! We'd love to see you at one of our classes next year as we're currently working on a new class schedule!
    Robin x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so delicious Robin, thank you! I'd love/need to come to one of your classes... Please do keep me posted!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  6. A bake-off at work sounds like the funnest thing. I think you did a great job, your cake was super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's very sweet of you! My cat for today's bake off is not looking great haha!!!! It's such a fun thing to do at work though :)

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  7. OH my goodness my mouth is watering reading this post! Chocolate and salted caramel are two of the best things on this Earth! Those leaves are amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good combo! I've just made the same combo for my Halloween cake, though it's a looong way off any of Robin's beautiful creations!!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  8. Lovely post, the cakes look amazing! I love your blog and I have followed you with Bloglovin. If you ever get a chance to check out my blog I would be delighted, thanks!

    Camille xo

    http://www.cococami.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Camille! Just had a quick look at your blog, it's great, although not good for my wallet with all those lovely clothes suggestions!!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  9. Oh wow those cakes are incredible!! Very impressive.
    My cake decorating skills are close to zero, limited to maybe frosting and even then I'm not the best!

    {Teffy's Perks} X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they amazing Teffy!! My cake skills are awful.... in fact, they're not really even skills!! Will post a blog about my cat effort from Halloween bake off at work soon... needs a bit of practice!!

      Rosie xx

      Delete

© a little lusciousness. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig