19.6.14

THE JOLLY POACHER, BRIGHTON

After our mammoth lunch at 64 Degrees in Brighton and a quick trip back to our Airbnb flat, we wandered back into town for some arcade and dodgems fun on the pier before our friend's play started that evening. We had a lovely time mucking about, and really enjoyed the play. Afterwards we went to the pub next to the theatre for a few drinks with the cast, but Brighton was heaving and all we really wanted was to find a nice pub, with good beer, where we could relax and drink for the evening. Our friend whose play it was suggested we go to The Jolly Poacher, run by a mate of hers, so we jumped in her car and headed 10 minutes up the hill to the pub. I'm particularly fussy with pubs, and even if I'm just drinking in one I like the ambience created by a good gastropub, and that's exactly what The Jolly Poacher is. In fact, whilst perusing the menu over late night Saturday drinks we decided this was where we should come for our Sunday lunch the next day before the drive back to London. We booked a table, drank more beer, stumbled home and awoke on Sunday SO ready for some good food.

I already knew what I wanted before we even got to the pub on Sunday. When we'd been there on Saturday night I had a long chat with the chef, who'd said he had one portion of a few things on the menu left, so I'd reserved one of those things for my lunch! Although with their seasonal menu using locally sourced ingredients, most of their dishes were right up my street.

As we were in Brighton and near the sea I couldn't not start my meal with a couple of juicy, fat oysters - served with a really good red wine shallot vinegar they knocked my slightly fuzzy hungover head straight back into shape!

These were swiftly followed by goose liver parfait (yes, that is a sneaky way of saying foie gras), rhubarb compote, pickled asparagus and toasted brioche - it was so good. The parfait was smooth and iron-rich, and served with some of my favourite seasonal ingredients. I thought the brioche was the perfect bread to serve with this dish as it wasn't too heavy like normal toasted bread would've been.


My main was the dish that I'd pre-ordered the day before, and I couldn't wait to try it... Sticky ox cheek, Pilsner battered oyster, mashed potato and spring greens. It may have been a little rich and less than summery for a warm end of May day, but it was so scrumptious. The ox cheek was slowly braised and melted in the mouth, with the slightly salty oyster it was phenomenal. The dark sauce on the plate was the braising liquer, reduced down until almost treacle like, the whole dish was indulgent and what I would eat every day when it's cold and miserable outside if I could.


I'm such a bad blogger/little greedy, that I can't even remember what the boy had to eat, but I know we left clean plates!

The Jolly Poacher is just outside the centre of Brighton, so if you're visiting, make sure you make the little trip up the hill to go and try the food there. In fact, even if you just want a drink I think it's a lovely spot for one. It's got a real family feel to the place, and is full of friendly staff. Prices range from £6.50-8 for starters and £14-23 for mains, although on Sundays they do 2 courses for £20 which is excellent value. I will most certainly be going back to The Jolly Poacher when we're next in Brighton.

To see the full menu and location for yourself, you can check out their website here.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Wow Brighton is really proving to be the place to go for a bit of gastro tourism. I love the place anyway and could never get bored of the Pavillion but now i seems there are other reasons to head down.. No dessert this time? :) xxx
    Lucy @ La Lingua : Life in Italy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - no dessert, having eaten my body weight in food over the weekend I didn't really fancy it!!! Brighton's great now for food, there's another place we didn't make it to but also looks amazing called the Coal Shed... next time!

      R xx

      Delete
  2. Mm ox cheek is the best; looks like a lovely meal B xx

    dearbaker.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a great meal - I was really impressed. LOVE ox cheek - although felt a little strange eating it on such a sunny day!!

      R xx

      Delete
  3. You have such a cute blog! I'm sorry it took me so long to get around to leaving a comment - as they say, better late than never.

    This pub sounds fantastic. Can you believe that I've never been to Brighton? I know I have to correct that and this pub might be enough to convince Le Husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy! You should definitely go to Brighton - it's such a lovely town (although quite trashy on Saturday nights - many, many hens and stag dos, neither of which end up at the Jolly Poacher). You can do a real foodie weekend there too as so many good new restaurants :)

      Drop me an email if you do go and can make some other recommendations

      R xx

      Delete

© a little lusciousness. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig