27.5.14

CHARLOTTE'S W4 - A NEW FAVOURITE

It's not often that I'm blown away by a restaurant, as in really, truly, happily shocked at the whole experience. But that's exactly what happened on Sunday evening when we decided on a very last minute trip to Charlotte's restaurant on Turnham Green terrace. I hadn't been before, but it's been on my radar for a while - I do all my food shopping along Turnham Green terrace (apart from a trip round the corner to Wyndham House butchers) and so I've seen Charlotte's a few times when I've walked past. I've followed them on Twitter for a while and always been intrigued, but have also always felt I need to go more central to find London's really good restaurants - how wrong I was!

We called Charlotte's at 8.45pm on Sunday to see if they could squeeze us in, and were told of course they could, despite normally taking last orders at 9pm, they would wait for us to get there (from Hammersmith). We arrived just after 9 and were greeted by THE friendliest, most helpful waiters and waitresses I've ever come across. They showed us to a table for 2 at the back of the restaurant, under the huge glass skylight that let in the last of the weekend's sunshine. We settled down with the menu, and ordered a "New girlfriend" cocktail for me, which was a delicious combo of Simpsmith vodka, elderflower cordial, rhubarb puree and pink grapefruit, that was actually very similar to the rhubarb and elderflower cocktail I'd served the night before at my pop up! The boy tucked in to a tangy Somerset-made wheat beer, which was really flavoursome but still had that more delicate flavour that comes from wheat beer.


The menu at Charlotte's is small but perfectly and seasonally formed. There are around 6 starters and 8 mains to choose from, as well as nibbles, cured meats and oysters. We had eaten quite a lot at the weekend, so chose a couple of oysters and the gin cured salmon, pickled cucumber and lemon to share for starters. This was a bit unfair as the boy can't eat oysters, but I couldn't resist - look at these beauties! Fresh, plump and tasting perfectly of the sea, they were served with a sharp red wine shallot vinegar.


The salmon was incredible. The gin cure was a background flavour to the lemon that now topped the salmon, but it was the texture that really astounded me. It just melted in the mouth, without being slimy or greasy, but it was not dry at all. It's really hard to describe, so I think you'll just have to try it yourselves! The pickled cucumber cut through the fats of the fish and was the perfect accompaniment.


For mains I chose the butter poached cod with spinach and triple cooked potatoes - it was like a healthy version of fish and chips! The cod was like butter itself, and fell away at the slightest touch of a knife and fork. The spinach was all the greens I needed to go with it, and the triple cooked potatoes were like nuggets of excellent little chips. When I was served the dish the first thing I noticed was a lack of sauce, but it didn't need it all as there was so much moisture from the wonderful cod.



The boy had the cider glazed pork belly with black pudding and spring onions that was equally excellent, if not better than the cod (although so different it's hard to compare!) The pork belly was rich and soft, and the spring onions had a lovely smokey taste from being charred. I'm not 100% sure what the smear of pale brown was, but it tasted almost foie gras like with a beautifully creamy richness.


This was all washed down with a very reasonably priced carafe of rose wine for me, which was light and refreshing, and another beer for the boy. The bill came to about £72 plus service, although I'm a member of a group that offer discounts for those that work in the hospitality industry, so we only paid £54 for all that food and drink!

Charlotte's have another site, which is in Ealing, that I also haven't been to yet - but most definitely will be visiting now I've found out how amazing their restaurants are! If you want to visit either of them or have a look at their seasonally changing menus, their website is here. I really, really can't recommend Charlotte's enough - it was the best meal out I've had in many months and I can't wait to go back and try more of their menu!!Click to add a blog post for Charlotte's W4 on Zomato
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Definitely going on my wishlist of places to visit. Great recommendation x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't get over just how good it was!! You should definitely go!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  2. I've been there too, I agree, lovely and personal service too.

    Lots of love,
    Angie

    SilverSpoon London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really great isn't it :) Havr you tried the Ealing branch too Angie?

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  3. Looks amazing !!! The salmon !! Swoon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all SO delicious, and exactly what I needed post pop up!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  4. I have been meaning to try Charlotte's for so long but I'm hardly ever down that way (not since I finished at Leiths anyway!). Having seen this, I think I'm going to have to make the journey. I love the look of the healthy fish and chips!

    Caroline x
    www.cocktailsandcaroline.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must try it Caroline! Definitely worth the trip. Thinking back on it I'm not sure quite how healthy butter poached cod is... But when it tastes that good who cares!!

      Rosie xx

      Delete

© a little lusciousness. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig