10.2.14

LEFTOVER CHEESE RECIPES


I'm not sure about you, but leftover and cheese aren't normally 2 words that go together in our house!! However, there is normally that bit of rind that ends up at the back of the fridge - not enough cheese on it to put it on a cheeseboard, but still too much to warrant throwing it away!

So here are a couple of ideas of what you can do with any of those nearly just rind bits you've got lying around.

First off, CHEESY POTATOES.

400g potatoes
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Fresh herbs
Leftover cheese (I used cheddar, brie rinds, a small piece of reblochon and some of the Montgomery Ogleshield I had)

Preheat your oven to 200C.

Start off by parboiling your potatoes - you want them nearly cooked, so chop into bite size pieces and boil them in salted water for about 10 minutes.

Once boiled, drain and add to a tray with plenty of olive oil, salt and pepper. Now take all your leftover cheese (including the rinds) and slice thinly. Spread over the potatoes, and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and potatoes a little golden.

Chop whatever herbs you have to hand - I like to use parsley and basil but you can use whatever soft herbs you have. Sprinkle over the cheesy potatoes and serve. I served ours with leftover pulled pork and an avocado and tomato salad.

Perfect grub for Sundays spent watching movies!





Secondly, STEWS

Leftover cheese is magic in stews. Along with a splash of mushroom ketchup, an old rind of parmesan can really lift a stew. You don't have to go out and buy expensive parmesan for this - that bit that you leave in the fridge but never use will do!!

Just start your stew as normal - onions, garlic and veggies. Add the mushroom ketchup with either the alcohol or stock, and pop the cheese in once you've added your liquid. It will melt away during the cooking process, just leaving it's delicious flavour behind. It also thickens the stew a little so don't worry about adding flour if you normally do.

You can use this to perk up any stews you like, but my favorites to add it to are beef bourginon, steak and ale pie mix and sausage and lentil stew. Just remember that both the cheese and the mushroom ketchup are quite salty, so taste before you add extra salt, and choose a low salt stock if you're using one.

Do you have any yummy leftover recipe tips? Please share them below if you do!
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Oh my holy mother of dskfheufhnjksduywuiqbafjksefniesk - yeah that. Anything with cheese in I'm obviously trying because cheese is too beautiful to ignore! These look delicious and I'm soooo making them both! xx

    Thiswomansstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! Mmmm melty cheese - I know, so good!! I made something else that was cheesy heaven the other day after seeing it on a super bowl blog - mix artichoke hearts with fresh spinach, cream cheese, a little creme fraiche and grated cheese and bake at 200C for 15 mins until bubbling. Heart attack on a plate but so yummy!!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
    2. omg that sounds amazing im about to make this

      Delete
  2. Haha I know what you mean about there not usually being leftover cheese in the house !! If I ever find any I usually make it into a cheesy pasta sauce and indulge !! Or if I have a little it gets scattered on tops of a bowl of soup. Yum ! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is rare for us to have 'leftover cheese' but there do always seem to be those bits that never quite get finished before the next one gets opened!!

      I love cheese with soup, or melted cheese on toast dipped in soup. Perfect for this miserable weather!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  3. Adding cheese to ANYTHING gets the thumbs up from me! Lovely ideas. I always add loads of mature cheddar to any minces I make for lasagnes/chilli/spag bol etc - just makes it taste that extra bit delicious.

    I hope your pop-up is going well!

    Caroline x
    Cocktails and Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like this post!!

      The pop ups are going great, thank you. Next one next weekend (still got 4 tickets left if you know anyone who might want to come!) Will let you know once I've got a date for March.

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  4. What a brilliant post, I always have left over cheese. I love the look of the cheesy potatoes, like a healthier version of cheesy chips. :)

    Jenna || Jennafifi.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The cheesy potatoes are great, but the amount of cheese probably makes them worse than normal cheesy chips haha!!

      Rosie xx

      Delete

© a little lusciousness. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig