23.9.13

CRUNCHY AUTUMN APPLE CRUMBLE

I don't think there's anything that sums up British Autumn more than an apple crumble. British apples in these months taste just like apples should - sweet, ripe and juicy. And having grown up in Kent and then Somerset, I've always been surrounded by orchards full of apple trees, dropping their apples around now. Unfortunately I don't know where in the UK the apples I used for this crumble came from, but I do know they were fresh and British. I like a golden, crunchy crumble topping and if you follow this recipe you should end up with one too.

The crumble needs to be made in 2 parts, as you need to allow the apples to cool before adding the crumble and cooking in the oven.

Serves 6 using an 8" cake tin.

For the filling:
8 medium British apples (I used a mixture of Discovery and Braeburn)
Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
1 tbsp caster sugar
Water
Knob of butter

For the crumble:
3 tbsp porridge oats
3 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp salted butter
2 tbsp caster sugar

(Sorry for the lack of weights - I don't have my scales in the house we're staying at! Use heaped tablespoons for all measurements)

Cut your apples in half, and then each half into thirds. Remove the cores. I don't like peeling apples as most of their goodness is found in and just under the skin, but feel free to peel yours if you want.

Put the apple slices in a saucepan, with the vanilla seeds, 1 tbsp caster sugar, a splash of water (just enough to cover the bottom of the pan) and a knob of butter. Cover, and cook on a low heat for 20 minutes.

Remove from the heat and allow to cool. You can speed up this process by pouring the apples into the dish you'll make your crumble in, as this will be cooler than the saucepan you've just cooked them in!

Meanwhile make your crumble topping. Mix the oats and plain flour in a large bowl. Add the butter and using your fingers, incorporate the butter into the oat and flour mix until your left with breadcrumb like crumbles. Tip the sugar in and mix with the crumble.

Preheat the oven to 200C (180C fan).

When the apples have cooled pour your crumble mix over the top. Tap the dish so it settles evenly, but don't press it down too hard.

Cook, uncovered, in the oven for 25-35 minutes, or until it looks golden like this:


Slice and serve...


As I'd used eating apples, rather than the slightly more sour cooking apples, I served our apple crumble with creme fraiche, but it's just as good with some nice clotted cream or ice cream.


You can actually make this crumble with any seasonal fruit (blackberries, peaches, pears, plums) in the same way as I've made this. I'm hoping to raid my Mum's plum tree this weekend so will use some of those to make a plum crumble next week :)

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Hmm I just bought a bunch of apples to make an apple pie, but now that I've seen this I may be swayed. I haven't had apple crumble for years! And there's nothing better than a bit of crumble on an autumn eve, I like mine with vanilla ice cream or double cream :)
    http://myfroley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! It's so quick and easy to make and super yummy! And perfect for when it's miserable outside!!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  2. This is literally one of my favouite desserts I could actually eat this right now! Looks scrummy! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so scrummy! Definitely gathering fruit from my mum's veg garden this weekend for more crumbles! And cream. And ice-cream :)

      R xx

      Delete

© a little lusciousness. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig