11.3.13

FEAST!

On Sunday just gone I spent a freezing cold afternoon eating as much as I could at London's food festival, FEAST. It was the first time I had been to Feast, and apart from the cold weather and loooong queues for food, I thought it was a fantastic afternoon.


Feast hosted last weekend's event in the Tobacco Docks in East London. A stunning location, that they filled with over 50 food and drink traders, catering for all tastes. There really was something for everyone, with Pizza Pilgrims supplying pizzas, The Wright Brothers with fish and oysters from their Soho restaurant, Apple Hot Dogs, ramen from Bone Daddies, coffees from Caravan, wine from Background Bars, Lamb Raan Buns from Dishoom and much, much more.

We went with very empty tummies, and made sure we filled them!

We started the day with a well needed refresher of fresh coconut juice, served in the coconut's husk, from Coco Face. It made me feel instantly better and tasted like the Caribbean. I love the cute smiley face that they branded the husk with.


The first food we tried was an excellent fish dog from Hix's Fish Dogs - a breaded fillet of coley served with delicious minted mushy peas and tartare sauce.


Next up was Caravan, for some coffee and brownies, to take away. Unfortunately, a short power cut meant we didn't get our coffee, but the hazlenut chocolate brownies that we bought for later were heavenly.


Another stop for the take away list was Le Petit Paris bakery (sorry if I've got the name wrong!) for some macaroons. Light and fluffy, as a macaroon should be, they were perfect with my coffee today, especially the pistachio one which was so delicately but beautifully flavoured.


After a tour of the outside area, which backs onto the docks, and is truly stunning, we found warmth in the bar area for a quick glass of wine.


As we both fancied something spicy we headed back downstairs to Miss Manchu where we had a seared lemongrass beef salad.



We found a hideaway under the main docks, where we sat to eat our beef salad, surrounded by little statues of people who worked in the docks centuries ago. It was a lovely, serene place to sit for our food.


With VERY full bellies, and much wine swilling inside, it was time for one last taster before heading back to the warmth of the fireplace at home. I'd seen someone eating what looked like Arancini (Italian fried rice balls) and decided that I definitely wanted some too! We found them being sold at Frederick's stall - an Islington restaurant that I hadn't come across before, but will certainly be visiting now - look at their menu: http://fredericks.co.uk/food/a-la-carte/mains/ !! Their wild mushroom and truffle arancini were the best thing I ate all day, and I'm still dreaming of them now. Oozing with creamy rice, they were perfectly cooked and such an amazing flavour.


We went back for seconds and thirds!!

Feast will be back in June 2013, and although the venue is yet to be announced, I really hope it's at the Tobacco Docks. On a warm summers day (hopefully it will be that in June!) I can't think of a place I'd rather spend my Sunday mooching around and eating some of London's best food.

For more info, visit www.wefeast.co.uk.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© a little lusciousness. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig