18.3.11

OYSTERS

Oysters divide people into three groups - those who've tried them and love them; those who've tried them and don't like them; and those who've never tried them at all. Until two years ago I was in the third group, but I am now very much in the first!

The first time I tried oysters was a very special experience. Trudging back to the office after a long day out on project, conversation between me and my two colleagues turned to oysters - both oyster fans, they were shocked to hear I had never tried them.

So that was it. We stopped off at Cape Town Fish Market on Argyll street, Soho, and picked up a dozen oysters, 6 cans of Red Stripe, and headed back to our beautiful mews office. There I sat, on the desk, and had my first taste of heaven! Even though Cape Town Fish Market's oysters aren't the best, the experience was truly unforgettable. Just a squeeze of lemon over them before the wash of fleshy sea - pure delight!



There are 3 places in London where I have fallen in love with oysters all over again.

The Fish Shop at 90 Stoke Newington High Street fed my oyster addiction throughout 2010. It is a great little fish and chip shop that also serves up specials including grilled sea bass, lobster and oysters. All the fish comes from the fishmonger across the road, and I have never had a bad meal here. I even used to get half a dozen rock oysters (shucked and ready to eat for £9) and take them back across the road to my local, The White Hart! www.the-fishery.net

Randall and Aubin (16 Brewer Street) is my favorite Soho oyster pit-stop. They have rock oysters and natives. Although you can't book a table here it is worth the wait, or if you're about between 3pm and 6pm in the week, pop in for half a dozen oysters and champagne for £7.50! www.randallandaubin.com



Last month I tried my first cooked oyster. It was divine, lightly battered and deep fried, I will definitely be going back to Ran, 58 Great Marlborough Street for more of those!

Oysters are low  in calories but have very high zinc, vitamin B12, vitamin A, calcium and iron. There is a rumour that oysters should only be eaten in months with an 'R' in their name, but this is unfounded - you can enjoy rock (pacific) oysters all year long!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© a little lusciousness. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig